Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Educational Experiences


Sometimes you just have to get away from the computer, smell the fresh air and experience life first hand, which is why I love field trips. I had been joining a group of teachers from across Florida as we attended field trips as if we were the students from various theme parks and high interest places in Florida. This past weekend we enjoyed the last one on our list, Busch Gardens. I must say that the Busch Parks, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, were the best ones planned and the most educational. We were treated to the personal attention of Cindy Kelly, an awesome representative of SeaWorld's educational programs.

One thing that I really liked was the cost. Busch Gardens is VERY reasonable when considering a field trip. I believe one experience started off at just under $20 a student. You won't get into the park to play for that price, but you do get an awesome Standards Based Experience.

We played a game of ZSI (a take off of CSI) and had to think like a middle school student. I'm proud to say that my group did just that and were the first to finish. Okay, not that that was the goal, but we did. The other team were all high level thinkers and were overthinking the problem. Personally, I have found this to be a huge problem on tests as well.

We also experienced the Sergenti, looked at the dorms, and talked about other programs available at the park. I collected pictures of my favorite giraffe feeds. Look at that Giraffe try to lick Tom! I think Tracie was the only one who did not try to put the lettuce in their mouth for feeding purposes.
I would encourage any of you in the area to check them out!
The only downside to the event, my son has decided that he now wants a Hippo for Christmas so he can sit in it's belly. :-)

2 comments:

Cheryl Woolwine said...

OH well, It seems like I picked the wrong field trips -Sounds like you all had a great time, sorry I missed it. Haven't been to Busch Gardens in years so maybe I will make a trip soon!

Unknown said...

The basic Zoo School program if I remember what Cindy Kelly said was $15. I had a THOROUGHLY enjoyable time on Saturday at a theme park and didn't ride a ride at all...it was great!

What I loved the most was hanging out with fellow educators. Being a geography teacher I was eating everything up and have gone back to school and begged my principal to allow my classes to go next spring!