Friday, June 22, 2007

Register of Excuses?

"Mr. Chalk" seems to be a bit outdated with his teaching methods and his knowledge of what our kids today are facing. I cringed when I read his post, and must say I am thankful he will never be my son's teacher. (He's in the UK, and I have no plans or desire to move to the UK.)

In his post he talks about how sugary diets are part of the problem our students face today. I'll give him that. Sometimes it's cheaper to give the kid a snack out of a pack rather than a fresh piece of fruit - or you're in a location that only offers that as a choice. But that's not the only thing he commented on. He also said that parents can list any "disease" like ADHD or Bi-Polar disorder and it's like "get out of jail free card". No siree! My son gets rewarded for behaving in school. He might get a movie night with me, get to eat dinner at Chick Fil A on the school night, or something simple. When he's bad, he loses time to play outside with friends, TV time, or toys taken away. Or he gets a good old fashioned spanking. Depends on the crime. We do not allow him or his teachers to use ADHD or his absence seizure as an excuse. We do however look to see if behavior is escalating and if maybe the medicine is not helping him or some other source might be influencing the wrong behavior.

I can imagine what Michele and Cheryl think about this man's belief. They work with these students who have such "diseases" and I can promise you, they are not so negative or demeaning about the children. They look at each case as an individual case and not blanket everyone with ADHD as a problem child on sugary highs that can do no wrong because he/she is unjustly under the influence and overdiagnosed with ADHD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And Danielle, these are the kids that I had in my inclusion classes at BMS that excelled because I offered them an alternative to the 'normal' class setting. Project-based learning, open group discussions and reading activities using graphic organizers (yes Inspiration too!), and countless other methods to help prod them along in their learning. I had to put what I knew as a tech educator to my advantage to get these kids to learn, and the great thing about it is: "IT WORKED!"